“At this point in the investigation, we can officially confirm that the three victims died as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning,” the Royal Bahamas Police Force said in a press release. This matter is still under investigation.”
Police earlier told CNN that no signs of trauma were found on the bodies, and Acting Bahamian Prime Minister Chester Cooper said no offense was suspected. Police did not comment beyond the cause of death of the three US citizens in the latest press release.
The Americans — Michael Phillips, 68, his wife Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee, and Vincent Paul Chiarella, 64, of Florida — died over the course of one evening. Kiarella’s wife, Denise, 65, was flown to Nassau, the nation’s capital, for further treatment before being flown to Florida.
Bahamas Police Commissioner Paul Roll said in May that the couple had reported feeling ill the previous night and had been seen by medical staff, eating at various locations.
The staff discovered the couples in separate villas the next morning and alerted the police.
“Nothing is more important to Sandals Resort than the safety of our guests,” Sandals Resorts said in a statement to CNN at the time, expressing its “deep sadness” at the confirmation of the deaths.
“Gamer. Wannabe beer evangelist. Pop culture practitioner. Travel lover. Social media advocate.”